Tuesday, September 05, 2006

My favorite uncle died

Yesterday was a sad day. I heard that a very dear uncle of mine had passed away, the morning after his birthday party. I was distraught. I liked him so much. I hadn’t seen him in ages, but the memories I have of him when I was a child are still with me like it was yesterday. He used to make us laugh with his jokes and stories…he had such patience for us. I used to think that man would live forever. He was always so alive and funny. And most of all, he was a great person and a great friend of my family’s.

Him and aunt Leia had this really nice house with a small patio in the middle, which had a tamarind tree (it’s a typical cape-verdean dry fruit). We used to climb that tree to get some tamarind and he would reprehend us, but not too severely. Then we’d have a big lunch and he would tell us all these funny stories. He had a contagious laugh and a wide smile. He was small and chubby and had a soft baldhead that we liked to tease with.

I can’t believe he’s gone. Uncle Tanche and Aunt Leia where the my family's best friends, I have no doubt about it.

But I’m sure he will remain in that house, looking after aunt Leia so she won’t feel so lonely. His favorite place was this room he used to lock so we wouldn’t go in. I’m sure that’s where I’ll find him when I go there.

See you soon uncle Tanche.

2 comments:

gustavo said...

Well, what can I say? My uncle was a wonderful person too. I miss him a lot. He died almost 7 years ago, and I cry for him like the first day. It´s great to find aperson who feel like me, who think like. Take care.

Mariana de Barros said...

thank you for the comment :)